Monday, February 15, 2010

Update, Computers, Turing

Goodness, I should do an update.  I had kind of a cruddy weekend, lots of painful memories and such popped up.  Still was bad today but I sought out a friend.  I so often go under a rock when I am down.  Now I feel much better.  One good thing about this weekend was that I made a lovely lasagna.  I haven't made many of those, but who I shared it with loved it.  I still have some German chocolate cupcakes to make as well.

Oh, random 'puter bits.  Barbie is coming out as a computer engineer.  Now, I realize she's just a unrealistically-proportioned doll.  However, I like seeing anything encouraging girls to computer and math-related fields.  Far too many boys get to have such fun.  Not to say they don't deserve to, I just like girls seeing and believing in themselves that they can do that too.  Heck, many of the first computing pioneers were women.  Grace Hopper is an excellent example.  If we could do that back then, we sure as heck can now.  That said, women should study what they want and love.

So what got me on this?  Thoughts of a man, actually.  Alan Turing is considered to be the father of computer science.  He was a genius.  Not only was he an extremely theoretical mathematician, he was also very mechanically-inclined.  Unfortunately, he met his end by suicide a couple of years after having his life messed up with an arrest for being a homosexual.  What a tragic ending for anyone.  Who is to know how else he would have changed the world.

Anyway, I should sleep.  Goodnight!

4 comments:

  1. Hi.. I just don't want to bore or sound crazy to people that are not in Alanon or ACOA (another type of alanon)..lol. You can read anything I post.. but I tend to ramble on too too too much. (getting it out)..

    Lasagna..yummy. And German chocolate cupcake.. good treats.. Oh sorry about Alan Turing. I have to read up on him... (hugs)

    enjoy this day IK.. I'm sorry you had a bad weekend.. I guess we all have bad memories that crop up whether al-anon / acoa related or not.. still life stuff. (hugs.. a million trillion hugs).

    The exercising does help... I'm glad you are doing so too.

    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok...I envy your ability to make lasagne and cupcakes...I can't even make pillsbury ones without burning them.. ☺ stay strong. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice. I made home-made lasagna the other day too. When based in Rome4 I had the chance to have cooking lessons - ever since I love my lasagna. German cup cakes - havent seen them around. However by now I did learn that many foods considered "German" are not necessarily German. Who cares as long as you savor them anyway. Mill of hugs to you. It is nice to be about 5000 Miles closer to you. If that isnt a threat to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'd heard about alan turing sometime this past year. so sad! i wonder how many wonderful people we've lost in this world due to the world's not being ready to accept some human beings.

    and i'm sorry you had a rough weekend~

    ReplyDelete