Saturday, March 6, 2010

Snowshoeing Adventure

Knowing that nearby is our state's only waterfall, a friend and mine got a sudden itch to see it.  We also wanted to try snowshoeing, which was the only way we would see it.  After a bit of research and looking around, we got some snowshoes online at a very reasonable price.  Today was the day we went.

The trip to the state forest was a bit drizzly and overcast.  While it stayed pretty overcast, the rain stopped and there was no wind.  Our recent heat wave of the 30s had melted quite a bit of snow, but there is still a lot.  We decided to take one of the American scenic byways to the state forest.  Travelling over winding roads of slush and gravel, we saw many deer on the road.  We believe they were eating from the melted off shoulders. 

The byway follows a river.  This river has been a mainstay all my life.  It ran by our farm where I grew up.  It passes the city I live now.  And some of my favorite places in this state are near it.  I have been thinking of being cremated when I die and be sprinkled at different parts of the river.  That way, people can just honor me by visiting the river instead of a single cemetery.  And, if I never get a chance to see the ocean, I guess it's one way for me to make it.

Anyway, the waterfall was supposed to be 2.2 miles away from the main entrance of the forest.  However, we could not follow the trail precisely.  The snow was very wet and difficult to stay atop.  We ended up following snowmobile tracks as they were stiffer.  We think we walked 3 miles one way.  We had to break a lot of travel and figure out where we were so it took hours.

What we found was a little waterfall of this clear spring.  We are not sure if there was maybe more to it farther down the spring.  What we did find was still covered with a bit of snow, so a clear picture was not possible.  There was also a campsite set up by the waterfall with a picnic table and a hidden fire ring.  I would love to go back when it's not snowy and camp there.

Since it was getting dark and we were already tired and sore, we hustled back on our broken trail.  Some ways may have been shorter but it was comforting to follow our previous steps.  Lots of hilly terrain and deep snow may it difficult.  We think we did it all in an hour or so.  The broken trail was so much easier and we hurried as we did not want to be out in the dark.  It was definitely twilight by the time we got back to the car.

So now I'm back home.  Tired and sore, but it was worth it.  I love being out in nature.  Snowshoeing turned out to be a fun activity that I would like to do more of.  I also enjoy exploring these trails and campsites.  It seems that people around here have actually been trying to develop these places just a little more.  They are still rather primitive and I'm afraid many people are just not into roughing it.  However, I love the simplicity and work involved in such camping.  It is rewarding to me.

One of the biggest joys I got out of today was a positive boost for my self-esteem.  I am  not in that good of shape, yet I went 6 miles, doing something I never done.  There were a lot of hills, some of them quite high and steep.  I fell and lost pieces to my poles a number of times, but did not give up.  About 500 feet away from the waterfall, the snow got very deep and we kept breaking through over and over.  Yet, I was determined to get there.  It was me who was able to break a good path to the waterfall. 

I focus on myself negatively way too much.  It's time I seriously overhauled by self-image.  Days like this are a good start.

Goodnight all!  *hugs*  <3

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could have come with you. Love the pciture you create in my mind. Never did snowsoeing and sounds like major fun. I dont like sking or cross country but this sounds like FUN in the snow. Chapeau. 6miles with snowshoes in wet snow. That is quite an achievement and YES, you can be proud of yourself. Maybe when it gets difficult again, you remember this day. Happy that you have had this georgous day. HUgs fromt his side of the pond again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a Perfect Adventurous day...and you are in good shape if you could do this .. (hugs).. and will get in better and better shape with this great activity...what fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that sounds so wonderful! thank you for sharing this :) it sounds like an amazing day. and that's beautiful about the river.

    but especially i'm happy to hear you are feeling so good about yourself. i too see myself negatively way too much and last night i was feeling the way you describe here. i was feeling good, almost what i imagine inner peace feels like :) here's to us all feeling more of that! hugs~~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula - Oh that would have been lovely if you were with! It is different than skiing. Uphill and downhill are both challenging in their own way. Part of the reason I blogged it was so I had a written reminder of it for tougher days. *hugs*

    Elizabeth - I was pretty sore the next day but got over it pretty well. So I must be in better shape than I thought. It's kind of late here to do too much more of it but maybe I can get some more in. *hugs*

    katie - One thing I have read was to change one's self-esteem/self-image is to accomplish goals or tasks so that you have concrete reasons to feel good about yourself. It's funny how you can go from not feeling very good at all most of the time to more and more peace and contentment. I hope you feel more of that yourself! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks IK~ my problem is that i tend to overlook my accomplishments, ignore them even, and focus on my flaws and on the negative in life. in my case i think i have to retrain my mind to focus on the positive. but also continuing to make new goals in the here and now is important too. do concrete things now. like this morning i went to our local gym and signed up. i have been saying i want to do yoga and tai chi forever. i've done it here and there, but not regularly ever. this time i really want to follow through. i think if i do that, that will mean something to me.

    hugs back! :)

    ReplyDelete