Monday, January 25, 2010

Blizzards and Music

Today we are having a ground blizzard.  All of that wet slush froze into rough ice.  You know a blizzard is bad when you can't see much in town.  I grew up with blizzards out in the country, where it doesn't take much  to make it hard to see.  I have two main memories for blizzards.  One involved being out of power for a week and the cows getting ice all over in their hair.

The other was just a standard blizzard and we were let out for school that day.  I remember standing in the parking lot, not being able to see a thing.  The snow violently swirled around me, blasting me in the face.  It seemed like such a different world.  I don't know what made that moment significant but it is forever etched in my mind.

I've been a bit down today and found this interesting blog post.  It recommends songs to listen to when you need to cheer up.  It goes through different stages of feeling crappy and recommendations for them.  From this post, I discovered a new song:  Through the Dark – K T Tunstall.

It talks about the transition to accepting a lack of control and all-knowing of the world.  It has a beautiful analogy of feeling your way through the dark.  It awes me how some artists can craft songs that are so honest and tug at one's heart.  As John Lennon said, "My role in society, or any artist's or poet's role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all."  And some artists do that so well!


My plans for tonight shall consist of some of my favorite comforts.  Music, hot coffee, and a walk (yes, even in this weather).  Who knows, perhaps I shall make another blizzard memory?

2 comments:

  1. Fav Comfy things.......very nice.

    Thanks for your comment about MLK .

    I added it to my Post for the day for all to see.. that come across my blog.

    I love that. (hugs) stay warm and safe..

    Betty Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor cows! I bet animals hate snow and ice as much as I do. Sorry I got to this so late. Wrap yourself up in something warm and drink something hot!

    ReplyDelete