Monday, August 3, 2009

The Stars

Source I paraphrased from and where you can learn more.

Stars can range in diameter from 6 miles (10 km) to 1000 times of the Sun's. In fact, our Sun is considered a dwarf. 75% of the stars are paired in a binary system, meaning two stars close enough together to orbit each other.


Some of them you can see the separation of the two through a telescope (as I have).

Stars twinkle due to changes in our atmosphere.


Also, due to the great distance they are from us, when we see the light of a star, that light we see is as old as it is far from us in light-years.

This means, by the time a star's light has reached our eye, it could already have exploded onto itself (creating a supernova, where new stars form).


This article goes into quite a bit of detail about the properties of stars (temperature/color, brightness, etc.) and the life cycle of stars. What is indented in I learned from the article, I've learned the other stuff elsewhere.

I have always had a great love for the stars. I've learned a bit about them scientifically but my real love comes from what I feel when I look up at them. A cold comfort washes over me and I long to be up amongst the stars. For what reason, I do not know. Space is a rather harsh environment. Yet, the stars and the moon stir something deep within me.

One of the things I detest most about living in an urban area is the light pollution. It takes my breath away each clear night I am able to get away from it. As long as I can see some stars, I will be at peace. I remember when I first moved to the city, I was so terribly homesick and shy. Seeing even a few stars cheered me up. It's funny to think that these huge balls of energy and light bringing comfort but that's just what does it for me I guess.

3 comments:

  1. I love stars too. And there is an American saying: turn your scars into stars.
    We will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Seeing even a few stars cheered me up.."

    ;) isn't that true!

    ~Silver
    Reflections/
    Tantalizing Treats

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like stars too! They attest to the creative wisdom of God!
    "He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names. Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite."

    ReplyDelete